[icecast] Reccomended user? Root or "normal"?

Mark Lehrer mark at knm.org
Wed Sep 12 19:12:49 UTC 2001

I run icecast as "nobody".  There have been exploits of icecast
in the past, so running as root is definitely a serious risk.

Mark

   Is there any problem to run icecast as a normal user? I know that
   if run along with liveice, I'll have to setup /dev/dsp to that
   user, but what about TCP/IP ports? Will it be able to run normally
   or I have to run it as root?

   Will this help in the stability of the system? This would allow a
   crash to only crash the user's memory space and not the system's
   space.