[icecast] bad quality, important buffering, etc...

Jerome Alet alet at unice.fr
Sat Oct 20 16:07:33 UTC 2001

Hi,

I'm trying to set up an icecast 1.3.11 server for our Medicine School.

It's on a PIII 1Ghz, with 256 Mb RAM on a BiPro board (single proc yet),
and a 3 COM 10/100 NIC. Unfortunately the NIC is plugged in a 10 Mbits/s
hub for now. It's under GNU/Linux (Debian Woody) + a 2.4.10 kernel.

The load of the server is very low, because there's almost only icecast
running + ices which streams a playlist in 32 Kbps, 32 KHz mono, here's the
output of free + uptime:

Mem:        256360     252544       3816          0       5788     189748
-/+ buffers/cache:      57008     199352
Swap:       256968          0     256968
 17:58:49 up 1 day,  2:32,  0 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Our School is plugged to the Net with a 10 Mbits/s dedicated line,
and the network load is low: on the LAN part it's around 400 Kbits/s.

I encounter several buffering problems with several tools: realplayer,
xmms, mpg123, WinAMP, reported by people outside our Network, but
even seen by me from the LAN. Often these tools stop to play and fill
their buffers, and this filling is very slow...

On the same LAN I've got 2 web servers with several virtual hosts with no
problem so far (I understand it's easier to encounter any problem
when streaming)

I'm sure it's not an icecast problem because I've set up my
own icecast server (same version, same playlist) on an ISP's server
and all is OK, nevertheless maybe some of you had encountered the
same problems and could tell me where to look at.

Could this be a faulty router somewhere or something else ?

Thanks in advance.

Jerome Alet - alet at unice.fr
Medicine School of Nice, France