[icecast] icecast 2 problem

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Sat Oct 13 03:57:18 UTC 2001

At 06:14 AM 10/13/01 +0300, you wrote:
>Geoff Shang wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Akos Maroy wrote:
>>
>> > I just tried my first production icecast 2 streaming. When I try and
>> > connect ogg123 to the stream, I get the following:
>> >
>> > $ ogg123 -v http://yp.tilos.hu:9000/tilos96
>>
>> You need an .ogg extension, for starters.
>
>why would I? I don't need a .mp3 with icecast 1.x.... After all, this is
>not windows I'm using, extensions shouldn't matter...

You don't need an extension in this particular case. What your actual
problem is, I don't know.

You WILL need a .ogg extension once you're actually up and running, though.
This is not a restriction in the server, but due to crappy clients. A number
of clients will try to decode any stream as mp3, so the vorbis plugins
override this for things ending with ".ogg". It's a bad solution, but it's
the way things are for now.

Michael