[icecast] /admin.html not very useful :P

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Fri Nov 30 01:00:58 UTC 2001

Hi all,

today being a boring evening, I tinkered around a little with my and
others icecast servers (v1.3.11, btw). :) I found that /admin.html et al
is only good for getting some help or listing connected users, at best.
When it comes to administration, i had some problems:

I wasn't able to create valid aliases through the web interface at all,
neither with IE under Windows nor lynx. Colons and slashes get converted
to %somethings, resulting in invalid URLs and mountpoints. Is this a bug
or am I doing anything wrong? I wasn't able to delete aliases I created
on the web interface, also propably because of the %nn problem.

Your help is very appreciated, thanks in advance!

One last thing ... since admin.html is very powerful (especially because
"set" shows the passwords either in a small hash or clear text!), I'd
highly recommend to set less open ACLs in the default icecast.conf. My
suggestion would be:

<snip>
# When using the internal acl rules, you need to specify a policy.
# This rule kicks in when no allow or deny rule affects a connection.
# If you set acl_policy to 1, then connections who are not denied by any
# deny rule will be allowed, and the other way around if you set it to
0.
# The following default settings allow anyone to be source or client,
while
# only users on localhost may log in as admin on the console or view
# /admin.html.

acl_policy 0
allow client *
allow source *
allow admin localhost
# allow admin *.your.local.domain
</snip>

Sorry for not supplying a .diff ... never created one of those yet.

Moritz