[icecast] automatic gain control

William Goldsmith wildbill at kpig.com
Thu Nov 15 13:27:45 UTC 2001

Scott included some rudimentary form of compression in at least the earlier
versions of liveice, but he disparaged it so thoroughly in his sample config
file comments that I never tried it :-).

You'd probably be pretty disappointed in the results from any too-simple
compression scheme. To sound decent, a compressor really needs
program-variable attack/release times, gating, and other goodies.

I've heard a quite decent Windows-based multiband comp/limiter (from Octiv)
but ecasound is the only thing I know of for *nix.

-bg

'icecast-request at xiph.org'