[icecast] Liveice & Icecast...help

Matthew Mencel matt at techminer.net
Thu Mar 22 03:51:39 UTC 2001

I'm running FreeBSD 4.2.  I downloaded and installed Icecast 1.3.10,
Liveice, mpg123, and Lame.  I know the Icecast streamer is working because I
can feed it from WinAMP on my PC and listen to the stream somewhere else and
it sounds fine.  I know liveice is working too because Icecast shows that it
connects and is sending audio to it.  However when I listen to the stream on
my PC with WinAMP it's aweful.  It sounds like the audio is really
overdriven, very distorted, grinding noise.  In fact I can't even hear
anything of the stream, just the grinding buzzing, and it is very loud.  I'm
feeding to the line in on my sound card from a portable radio.  I get the
same effect though whether the audio is plugged into the sound card or not.

I imagine this is a hardware problem with the sound card, but it's a run of
the mill Sound Blaster AWE32 I think and I figured it would be the most
supported.  I recompiled the kernel to get the audio to work, and if I send
an audio file directly to the audio device I can hear it just fine.  It's
only when I start up liveice that I get the distortion.  I'm kind of a
newbie at this audio streaming so don't hate me if this is a really dumb
question.

Thanks for any help.

Matt
matt at techminer.net