[icecast] another Icecast2/Vorbis stream on-line

William Goldsmith wildbill at kpig.com
Fri Mar 16 17:44:53 UTC 2001

Connected to the stream just fine with the Winamp plugin & listened for
about 20 min. A few dropouts & 1 disconnect - but I'm on a flaky DSL circuit
this morning, so that's hardly unexpected. Winamp reported bitrates from
26-31 kb/s.

The sound quality was very decent, given the bitrate. I noted a few
artifacts in the 6-8 kHz range (cymbals & electric-guitar harmonics) on an
electric blues cut - similar to mp3 at 32kb/s, perhaps a little better. The
codec really shone on the acoustic selections. Very transparent - with
markedly fewer human-voice colorations than 32k mp3. The acoustic guitar
also lacked the high-end grunge you often get with mp3 compression.

Overall, I'm impressed.

-bg

---
Bill Goldsmith