[icecast] Getting Listed

Scott Weingartner scott at john.ikansas.com
Thu Mar 15 04:31:34 UTC 2001

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001 lists at returntonature.com wrote:

> I have the same problem below; does anyone know what the problem is with
> that and how to fix it -- I haven't seen any response to the message below
> ..
>
> Louis
>

> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm struggling with getting my stream at the various directory services
> > out there. Here are my experiences with icecast up to and including
> > 1.3.9, which I installed today. I've had the same problems with
> > previous versions, dating back to when I begain using icecast last
> > July. My icecast.conf contains the following lines:
> >
> > icydir yp.shoutcast.com
> > directory yp.icecast.org
> > touch_freq 25
> >
> > * yp.shoutcast.com- from following this list, I get the impression
> > icecast flat-out doesn't work with this directory. Can any one confirm?
> > Here's the log entry from icecast.log:
> >
> > [12/Mar/2001:22:02:23] [1:Calendar Thread]
> > directory_add([yp.shoutcast.com:80]) failed... directory server error
> > #3... (retry in 1402 seconds)

If you go look at the result codes for errors, it says this for #3:

3:  Your server sent incomplete or inappropriate data.  Check your station
  information for invalid characters (numbers, letters and spaces are the
only accepted values for most entries) and reconnect the Source plug-in to
try again.

once you fix this.. You'll get error #404:

404:  This typically means you're running software that isn't a SHOUTcast
  DNAS server.  The only supported software for listings in the SHOUTcast
  directory is the SHOUTcast DNAS.  Occasionally this will show up on
  servers with very very slow Internet connections as well.  It should
  clear itself up with time

> > * yp.icecast.org: you would think this should work, and the log entry
> > appears to indicate success, but I find my stream is never actually
> > listed! I get something like this every few minutes:
> >
> > [12/Mar/2001:23:51:49] [1:Calendar Thread]
> > directory_touch_xa([yp.icecast.org:80 ]) completed...server id = 69
> >
> > When I go to yp.icecast.org and try to find my stream using the search,
> > I get nothing.

I have the same problem here.  Dont know what the deal is.

> > The other services listed in icecast.conf.dist also fail, with the same
> > error as with yp.shoutcast.com above.
> >
> > I've spent quite a lot of site building up the site and stream and it's
> > depressing that no one can find it. Can anyone provide me with a clue
> > on why my stream fails to get listed on yp.icecast.org? Are there other
> > directory services out there I could try?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Harry

Good Luck,,

Scott W