[icecast] reencode scripts if anyone is interested

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Mon Jun 25 05:27:01 UTC 2001

> I think lame and xmms both use the mpg123 engine. The xmms plugin
> seems to handle odd MP3s a bit better than mpg123 or LAME, so I'd
> probably think about stealing that one. But now I'm thinking there
> must be some nice multiformat audio library around to decode most
> things into PCM... will look around.

mpg123 is awful.  there are exit(-1)s in the middle of the library.

xmms has a fork of mpg123 that is intimately tied to xmms.  also
probably not workable.

i believe teh current 'favorite' librarized mpeg decoder is libmad.
supposedly it's clean and works well.

if you're going to use mpg123, i'd at least use lame. :)

jack.