[icecast] About threads and bitrates and bytes[]...

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Thu Jul 12 14:46:34 UTC 2001

> Thus I am lead to believe that I could scale very well and serve
> considerably more than 40 producer. What do think, is there a flaw I
> can't see? How does icecast do it?

You should look at my old javacast code (probably in the icecast-1.0
module in cvs).  I couldn't get it, even on fast jvm's, to reliably
serve more than 2-3 people.  Java just doesn't seem to have the I/O
processing power that is needed for multimedia streaming.

Are you having better luck?  Or did my code just suck that badly? :)

jack.