[icecast] Problem with ices on OpenBSD 2.9 w/ Icecast 1.3.10

Brendan Cully brendan at icecast.org
Tue Jul 10 13:20:32 UTC 2001

On Tuesday, 10 July 2001 at 14:10, Nick Ludlam wrote:
> From: "Brendan Cully" <brendan at icecast.org>
> > On Tuesday, 10 July 2001 at 03:21, Nick Ludlam wrote:
> > > From: "Brendan Cully" <brendan at icecast.org>
> > >
> > > Tried with winamp, sonique and freeamp. All exhibit the same problem of
> > > stuttering play, and eventually this drops out of the icecast log:
> > >
> > > -> [10/Jul/2001:03:04:57] Kicking client 14 [212.135.236.195] [Too many errors (client not receiving data fast enough)]
> [listener],
> > > connected for 35 seconds, 257939 bytes transfered. 0 clients connected
> > >
> > > and I know it's not bandwidth-based problems. This happens on a local
> > > network as well as my ADSL, both of which are good enough to stream
> > > at 12Kb/sec.
> >
> > Ah, I found this one while playing with ices on solaris. The problem
> > seems to be a truncation error in libshout's timing/timing.c, in
> > timing_sleep, which results in ices not sleeping at all between
> > chunks. I hope you're experiencing the same problem, because I posted
> > a patch a couple days ago. Check out the CVS or wait for 0.2.1.
>
> Unfortunately I am using the CVS version. Is there any way for me to trace
> where it's mistiming things?

I guess you could put some printfs in shout_sleep and/or timing_sleep.
Could you first double-check that timing_sleep in
ices/libshout/timing.c looks like this:

void timing_sleep(long sleeptime)
{
        struct timeval sleeper;

        sleeper.tv_sec = sleeptime / 1000;
        sleeper.tv_usec = (sleeptime % 1000) * 1000;

        select (1, NULL, NULL, NULL, &sleeper);
}

and that you are not using an installed, older version of
libshout. ldd ices and check which libshout it is using. Ideally
libshout won't show up at all. You might try building
--without-libshout just to make sure.

-Brendan