[icecast] icecast "multicasting" ?

jaromil jaromil at dyne.org
Wed Dec 26 11:56:11 UTC 2001

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 12:06:30AM -0800, Peter Skye wrote:
> Mark Woodson wrote:
> >
> > A better solution would be to setup multiple
> > servers at key locations (perhaps something
> > colocated in the UK and Australia).  Have a central
> > server that feeds streams to these two servers.
>
> Mark, thanks for the info.  Do you mean that icecast can accept a stream
> from another icecast server and then distribute that stream to its
> "listeners"?  If that's the case, is there anything special I have to
> do?

hi,

you can use the "alias" word of power on the oper console or even
configure aliases into the icecast.conf file so that they are setted up
every time you start the server.

the alias should be configured on the frontend servers, letting them
mirror the stream from a backend server which receives the source.

having a sparse topology of servers covering the main continents you
want to reach is a good point in optimizing bandwidth usage, i used
icecast in this way a couple of times and it works pretty well.

--
jaromil  ][   http://dyne.org   ][  GnuPG _key__id_
EDEE F1B9 DC92 76C0 6D46  D77A 58B0 82D6 (5B6E 6D97)

/*

 my encryption key changed, the old 6C624800 is revoked, please
 consider updating your keyring:
 gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key 5B6E6D97 (fetch new one)
 gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key 6C624800 (fetch revokation)

*/