[icecast] Error: Client not receiving data fast enough

Justin Zipperle justin at shaggydawg.com
Sat Aug 25 03:25:33 UTC 2001

Hey all,

I've been having the same "Client not receiving data fast enough" errors.
I've got icecast configured so as not to send info to ANY yp directories.
Even on a quiet 100MB connection between client and server, I can stay
connected for only about 5 minutes at a shot if I'm lucky.  I'm using
Icecast 1.3.11, and Shout 0.8.0.  The files I'm streaming are all 22kHz,
64kbps, mono.  A 6 minute file will go through Shout in roughly 5 minutes
and 15 seconds.  If I watch the stats in WinAMP, I can see that the buffer
is just being filled up and maintained between 95-100% until the stream
drops.

If I request a file through Icecast without calling on Shout to broadcast it
(i.e., http://server:8000/file/filename.mp3), I have no problems, even with
a 75 minute file.  So it seems to me that the problem is somewhere either in
Shout's stream, or Icecast's handling of that stream - one is pushing too
fast, or the other is pulling too fast.

I'm not sure if any of this is helpful, but I figure it doesn't hurt to
bring it up.

-Justin