[icecast] Metadata, again..

Asymmetric all at biosys.net
Sun Aug 12 17:44:38 UTC 2001

At 13:00 8/12/2001 -0400, you wrote:

>ID3s are supposed to be the last 128 bytes of the file. So I would
>expect most MP3 players just jump to the end of the file and grab the
>ID3, rather than parsing any interframe garbage they run across to see
>if it might be an ID3 tag. Streams of course have no end of file.

ID3 v1 and v1.1 (hardly worthy of it's own version number) is typically the
last 128 bytes of a file.  ID3 v2 is typically at the start of the file and
uses a method they call "synchsafe" to keep it from being interpreted as a
valid mp3 frame.

>I haven't actually tried to embed ID3 tags between frames in a stream
>- you are welcome to prove me wrong.

Nor have I.. I'll give it a whirl sometime.

>one difference I know about is the interval, which is I believe 4096
>in icecast but tends to be larger in shoutcast.

8192 in shoutcast I believe.

>Also what client are you using to send data to icecast? You may get
>into trouble if you send MP3 data with garbage in it.

I'm sending from winamp with the FHG codec.

>that comment probably has more to do with the fact that nullsoft has
>provided no documentation for their metadata protocol.

Yeah that's a huge pain in the ass too.. as I said, nullsoft has never
impressed me. ;)