[icecast] Error: Client not receiving data fast enough

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Tue Aug 7 13:13:35 UTC 2001

Actually, I have seen this problem quite a bit as you all will
remember.  It isn't ices (I don't think) rather it seems to be
something wrong in icecast.   More specifically with the yp server
section of code.  The more yp directories you have listed the higher
the chance of getting the not streaming fast enough error.  I have
trimmed all my directory servers back to just yp.icecast.org and for
the most part the problem has vanished.  Now there is one odd caveat,
last week at some point our internal network was disconnected from the
outside world.  I could still stream internally.  I had removed all of
the yp directory server entries so icecast shouldn't have been trying
to leave the internal network.  I could not stay connected for more
than 50-80 seconds.  The error was always the same not streaming fast
enough error but obviously it has nothing to do with the client at
all.  So as far as that goes it is a very misleading error message and
probably one of the reasons we haven't been able to hunt it down.  So
there is some food for thought.  Jack Brendan got any ideas?  I've
been taking the long term approach to hunting this one down.  I have
set the debug level up to four but the problem code seems to sneak
between the debug code bits.

  Kirk

phone: (519) 661-3061