[icecast] Broadcasting w/o server

Tim Pozar pozar at lns.com
Sun Aug 5 02:28:45 UTC 2001

On Sun, Aug 05, 2001 at 12:05:34PM +1000, Geoff Shang wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Aug 2001, Arioch /BDV/ wrote:
>
> > Ok, there are cool complex products such as SHOUTcast and
> > icecast, but is there some simplier solution?
> > What i need is simple plugin, allowing other guys in home
> > LAN listen the same thing that i do? I do not want to
> > download/install/setup one more program such as server. I
> > do not need complex things. Just one and very simple -
> > share my current winamp sound.
>
> Well, you could run some audio cables, or get a low-power FM transmitter.
> But if you want to share it via the network then I'm pretty sure you'll
> need a server.

How about multicasting the audio?   This should work without a
server.  I don't think Winamp will support this unless there is
some Windows gatway from unicast to multicast packets.  I seem to
remember someone was doing that for UNIX.

Else you can check out "rat" for Windows...

        http://www.free.net/ftp/packages/multicast/rat/

Tim

--
  Snail: Tim Pozar / LNS / 1978 45th Ave / San Francisco CA 94116 / USA
               POTS: +1 415 665 3790  Radio: KC6GNJ / KAE6247