[icecast] what I'd like to do

Jack Moffitt jack at icecast.org
Fri Apr 6 00:45:21 UTC 2001

> > I think going higher than 100k is
> > fairly wasteful.
>
> Well, that might have been true a year or two ago - but a lot of people have
> the ability to hear 128k streams these days (look at the rankings at
> www.shoutcast.com). And - at least with MP3 - there is a *big* difference in
> sound quality between 96k & 128k.
>
> I'm hoping that Ogg Vorbis will produce decent-sounding sub-128k streams,
> since many of the next-gen wireless networks will be running at 128k.

I didn't say it was impossible, I just said wasteful.  Reasonable
quality can be obtained sub-128.

There are many reasons to broadcast high bitrate streams, but that
doesn't mean they aren't wasteful.  Bandwidth, even though one day it
will be close to free, is still pretty expensive, and the only reason
people do broadcast at 128k is because not that many people listen at
once, and so it's still affordable.  Were you to suddenly get thousands
upon thousands of listeners, you might back it down a notch or two :)

With Vorbis, I think everyone will be happy with 96-100kbps.  Try it now
and see if you are :)

jack.