[Icecast-dev] Icecast 2.5 - Privileged Ports on Ubuntu

Robert Winkelmann robinstl68 at icloud.com
Tue Sep 6 16:25:19 UTC 2022

I have tried this and for what I can see have everything correct as I
copied the files from the package install, set them up the same way
under a new name and only changed the config file name and the location
of the binary. Problem is I keep running into an error that baffles me
because almost everything is identical except changing the daemon
location to the proper binary and the location of the config file as
well as the proper web root in the icecast. xml file.

I'm probably missing something really obvious here.

/lib/systemd/system/icecast25.service:5: Executable path specifies a
directory: /

The relevant entries are

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
DAEMON=/usr/local/bin/icecast
NAME=icecast25
DESC="streaming media server"

test -x $DAEMON || exit 0

. /lib/lsb/init-functions

# Defaults
CONFIGFILE="/usr/local/etc/icecast.xml"
CONFIGDEFAULTFILE="/etc/default/icecast25"
USERID=root

GROUPID=root

In the above mentioned file I have pretty much standard entries

[Unit]
Description=icecast25

[Service]
ExecStart=/