[Icecast-dev] Should Icecast send the "Connection: close" header?

Philipp Schafft phschafft at de.loewenfelsen.net
Mon Oct 29 20:42:39 UTC 2018

Good afternoon,

On Mon, 2018-10-29 at 13:48 -0400, Spencer Russell wrote:
> I'm accessing a server using Icecast 2.4.0. It is streamed using HTTP
> 1.1 using the Transfer-Encoding: chunked - so far so good.

I feel like I need to clarify a few things here:
      * Icecast 2.4.0 does not implement HTTP/1.1 but HTTP/1.0, which it
        correctly tells in it's response status lines.
      * Icecast 2.4.0 does not support chunked tansfer encoding.
      * Icecast 2.5.x does, yet does not use it for stream delivery.
      * Icecast 2.4.0 is VERY OUTDATED and contains MULTIPLE SECURITY
        vulnerabilities. Please upgrade to the newest stable version.

> The issue is that the HTTP library I'm using uses connection pooling
> by default and attempts to re-use connections if the server does not
> send the "Connection: close" header. As part of that re-use, when you
> end a request/response cycle, it tries to read from the socket through
> the end of the response, which doesn't work well when the stream is
> infinite. The idea is that it's setting things up so that there isn't
> data left on the socket and things are ready for the next transaction.

This is correct for HTTP/1.1. Icecast 2.5.x implements this correctly
(as it does implement HTTP/1.1). For HTTP/1.0 the default type of
connections is 'close' (keep-alive must specifically requested).

> You can see the following conversation for more context:
> https://github.com/JuliaWeb/HTTP.jl/issues/339
>

> AFAICT the issue is that there's no way deterministically for the
> client to know whether the stream its receiving is infinite, so it
> doesn't know whether it's safe to try to read through the rest of the
> response to get the stream state ready for the next transaction. I
> imagine that putting Icecast behind a reverse proxy would have similar
> issues if they tried to reuse the connection, so I'm not sure if
> there's a standard client-side approach to handling this, or if it
> would be better for Icecast to send the "Connection: close" header.

see above.

> One client-side workaround I can think of is to disable connection
> re-use for any chunked transfers, but that seems maybe
> overly-conservative.
>
> Here's the transaction I'm seeing:
>
> $ curl -v doppler.media.mit.edu/impoundment.ogg
> *   Trying 18.85.59.166...
> * TCP_NODELAY set
> * Connected to doppler.media.mit.edu (18.85.59.166) port 80 (#0)
> > GET /impoundment.ogg HTTP/1.1
> > Host: doppler.media.mit.edu
> > Accept: */*
> >
> < HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> < Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 15:58:27 GMT
> < Server: Icecast 2.4.0
> < Cache-Control: no-cache
> < Expires: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 05:00:00 GMT
> < Pragma: no-cache
> < icy-name: no name
> < icy-pub: 0
> < Transfer-Encoding: chunked

I'm not sure what is answering your request, however it is not Icecast
2.4.0. I suspect it's a faulty reverse proxy that is in front of the
server.

Maybe that you can have a look at that.
I hope my reply is of help to you!

With best regards,

--
Philipp Schafft (CEO/Geschäftsführer)
Telephon: +49.3535 490 17 92

Löwenfelsen UG (haftungsbeschränkt)     Registration number:
Bickinger Straße 21                     HRB 12308 CB
04916 Herzberg (Elster)                 VATIN/USt-ID:
Germany                                 DE305133015