[Icecast-dev] Icecast clients disconnect at exactly 10 minutes

Philipp Schafft phschafft at de.loewenfelsen.net
Sat Dec 1 09:13:39 UTC 2018

Good morning,

On Fri, 2018-11-30 at 17:10 -0500, Andrew L wrote:
> I am running icecast2.4.4

It is very nice to see people running current stable and no outdated
versions. :)

> on a Debian VM with a python script as the source on macOS on the same computer.
>
> I am using a tunneling service (ngrok) to expose my localhost and listen to
> the stream anywhere. I've tried other tunnels like localtunnel, but still
> get disconnected at 10 minutes exactly.

ngrok seems to be a reverse proxy. Doing so is generally not
recommended. (See also: [0])

> When listening to my own stream on the tunnel, the client (Chrome, Firefox,
> mpv) gets disconnected at exactly 10 minutes and must pause/play or refresh
> to reconnect. The source stays up indefinitely.
>
> At first I thought icecast might be timing out clients, but the debug log
> doesn't give a client timeout message.
>
> Debug log message before the disconnect:
>
> DBUG client/client_send_bytes Client connection died
> DBUG source/source_main Client removed

The "Client connection died" is reported when the client by itself
disconnects. This is NOT an error within Icecast.

My best guess is that "ngrok" implements that timeout somewhere. So it
would be best to dig into it's configuration and documentation.

With best regards,

[0] https://wiki.xiph.org/Icecast_Server/known_reverse_proxy_restrictions

--
Philipp Schafft (CEO/Geschäftsführer)
Telephon: +49.3535 490 17 92

Löwenfelsen UG (haftungsbeschränkt)     Registration number:
Bickinger Straße 21                     HRB 12308 CB
04916 Herzberg (Elster)                 VATIN/USt-ID:
Germany                                 DE305133015