[Icecast-dev] Server Side Spot Replacement?

Philipp Schafft phschafft at de.loewenfelsen.net
Wed Apr 19 11:51:50 UTC 2017

Good morning,

On Tue, 2017-04-18 at 12:17 +0000, Rune Hafskjær wrote:
> Hi Philipp,
>
> Thank you for insights and suggestions. Please see my recent answer
> and questions to Lin in the same matter.

(I did, but answering here, keeping in mind your other answer.)

> I'm talking about thousands of listeners, and individual mounts are
> probably not the way to go.

A client can also be attached to an internal source, normally reading a
file from the disk. That is what happens when you request a random file
from Icecast (e.g. an image for the status page).

The same can be used (but requires a patch) to move listeners on and
back to the other source after the file ended. We have done something
very similar for another client already.

> A dream scenario would be to trigger a move of all listeners at the
> start of an ad break to a mount with a dynamic scripted playlist of
> ads playing from a separate CDN. And move everybody back to the
> original mount when the playlist is finished. If that can be done...

It can. My main concern is the load that this could cause on the server.
e.g. reading a file for each listener will generate a lot I/O-load on
that machine. But most of those effects are inherent to the situation
(e.g. a webserver will have the same problem with the same number of
simultaneous clients). Some may be within Icecast.

I think it's possible with only a bit of work to see how it performs.
Before writing a real patch.

> Any thoughts and detailed help to move further are much appreciated.

I would be pleased if you could answer my question on which
formats/codecs should be supported.

I also think such a test could be a potential first step. To see if the
direction is one that is possible or if some dedicated solution as Mr.
Marcin suggested would be a better option.

Also feel free to contact me off-list if you're interested in commercial
support (including writing such a patch).

Have a nice day,

with best regards,

--
Philipp Schafft (CEO/Geschäftsführer)
Telephon: +49.3535 490 17 92

Löwenfelsen UG (haftungsbeschränkt)     Registration number:
Bickinger Straße 21                     HRB 12308 CB
04916 Herzberg (Elster)                 VATIN/USt-ID:
Germany                                 DE305133015