[Icecast-dev] Stagefright mediaplayer in Android

Philipp Schafft lion at lion.leolix.org
Fri Jun 3 13:09:51 UTC 2016

Good afternoon,

On Fri, 2016-06-03 at 11:44 +0200, David Rönn Jansson wrote:
> Hi!
> My name is David.
> I'm having some problems with audio playback on Android and I was
> thinking that maybe you have had the same or similar problem while
> streaming to Android.
>
> I ran across this
> issue: https://github.com/karlheyes/icecast-kh/issues/120 and that is
> exactly the problem I've been having. I don't know if this is a
> official fork of Icecast or a personal fork, but I suspect the same
> problem exists for the original Icecast.

the -kh Icecasts are private forks. We can not give support for them.

> Have you seen the same issue? Did you find a solution for it?

Yes. With random broken players. Mobile device developers seem to like
doing this. I have no idea why. Beside that this violates the RFC it
doesn't make sense to open let's say one connection for probing and one
for data.

> [...]

The best suggestion I can give you is to report directly against the
specific software and explain your problem. Also include that this is
streaming and therefore the stream can not be expected to end within a
short time. also range request will be ignored as per RFC. If they try
range requests they should check the response to see if the server
answered with a range response. If not fall back to a linear mode
(single stream).

Maybe the others can give you some other, less technical hints as they
do more support work and may know more about this specific case.

Thank you for letting us know. Have a good day!

--
Philipp.
 (Rah of PH2)