[Icecast-dev] why HLS/DASH are problematic in an Icecast context

Daniel James daniel.james at sourcefabric.org
Mon Feb 23 03:35:49 PST 2015

Hi Eric,
> It doesn't add latency, though, because the short connections are
> happening in the background and are hopefully buffering up content that
> will be safely loaded before it becomes time for you to play it.

So if I've got this right, after I join a HLS live stream to listen or
watch, do I only start buffering that low bitrate content after the
player detects that there is a bandwidth problem?

> Because the content already exists on the server, you're also able to
> download it in bursts at connection speed rather than in realtime.

Ah, so after the decision is made to switch, the low bitrate buffer
fills up quicker than the high bitrate buffer is emptying, is that correct?

Cheers!

Daniel