[Icecast-dev] source buffer

Yaniv Sharon yaniv.sharon at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 14:18:47 PST 2015

I will give a little background...
For more than 10 years until now im using Shoutcast 1.9.5/1.9.8 win32 on my
machines. "What's working, d'ont touch".

Now im changing to ice 2.4.2.
The flexibility of the ice is great.
but, because of the things that "hidden" from the eye im little bit afraid
to make changes that will be dramatic for the listeners.

So, for the beginning, at least I want to start with what I use to have and
know to work with my machines. As the most of you guys qnow, the shoutcast
always was "closed system". So I will try:

mp3 @ 128kbps:

1. "Source buffer": when I stop the encoder (closing down), the buffer at
the listener side remains full for several seconds (8...10), and only than
he START to fall down to zero. So I think/guess that there is a buffer
between the encoder to the server (Maybe...!) If there is, maybe it can
help in some cases of unstable connection between the encoder to the server.

2. Burst/Queue size: with my stream monitor I measured that the burst size
of the shoutcast (1.9.8) is 256K. And that whats lead me to the next
question...someone knows what is the queue size that the old shoutcast
working?

Again, the issue here is not to talk about shoutcast and what she can do.
My goal at this time of startig with ice is to continue with what I was
have until now and from that to make changes (or not).

If someone can help with that I will be glad for sure :)

Thanks for reading...
Good evening,

On Wed, 2015-12-02 at 16:51 +0200, Yaniv Sharon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is a way to increase the source buffer?
>
> (Not the buffer from icecast to listener, the buffer from the encoder
> to server)

There is no 'source buffer'. Maybe you can tell us what problem you
face / what your goal is? I think we can help you better if we
understand your problem a bit better.

Have a nice day!

--
Philipp.