[Icecast-dev] icecast on-demand streaming iPhone

Philipp Schafft lion at lion.leolix.org
Sun Aug 23 15:42:37 PDT 2015

Goedenavond,

On Sun, 2015-08-23 at 22:22 +0200, Henk van de Ridder wrote:
> We are using icecast for live and on-demand streaming of recorded live
> sessions.
> The problem occurs with the on-demand streaming on IPhone's: the recording
> starts playing and after 5 - 7 minutes it starts over again from the
> beginning.
> We think it might be caused in the handling of partial content. The icecast
> log shows at the first connection a "206 Partial Content" answer, but a
> second or third connection shows a "200 OK" answer.

Here is my guess without a closer inspection:
Icecast has a limited support for range request. So the first request
works fine and the second doesn't for some reason. So Icecast is a nice
boy and sends from the beginning and tells that (I think that's what the
specs suggest).
This is not really a problem. What I think causes the real problem
(playback starts again) is that this change in the status code is not
detected by iphone's client(lib).

I think we should confirm that hypothesis or find a better one. Can you
provide me with the exact requests as transmitted by the iphone?

Also: There is #icecast on Freenode. Maybe this cold be fixed faster
with some realtime testing.

Have a nice evening!

--
Philipp.