[Icecast-dev] hostname resolution in libshout

"Thomas B. Rücker" thomas at ruecker.fi
Tue Nov 18 09:15:09 PST 2014

On 11/18/2014 05:02 PM, RJ Ryan wrote:
> Hm, I attempted to file a ticket but was rejected:
>
> Submission rejected as potential spam
>
>   * BotScout says this is spam (Y|MULTI|IP|0|MAIL|0|NAME|2)
>   * StopForumSpam says this is spam (username [40])
>
> Maybe because I just registered?

No, it's an unfortunate side effect of spammers nowadays registering,
confirming the email address AND somehow getting past the Bayesian filters.
I've been cycling through several configurations and services to find
something that doesn't produce a pile of false positives, but it looks
like I've failed, once again. Back to the drawing board.

Once I have 2.4.1 out, I'll have time to look at the libshout issue (and
its counterpart).

> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 12:59 PM, Ralph Giles <giles at thaumas.net
> <mailto:giles at thaumas.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 2014-11-17 7:55 AM, RJ Ryan wrote:
>
>     > They are requesting that libshout "fall back" on the ipv4
>     resolution of
>     > the hostname if the ipv6 version fails to connect.
>
>     Binding only ipv4 on an dual-stack server is a deployment bug, but
>     libshout should fall back when running on a dual-stack client, as they
>     say. Please do file a bug.
>
>     I believe RFC 6555 describes the current best practice for this:
>     clients
>     should probe over both protocols when dns returns both ipv6 and ipv4
>     addresses and use whichever to work around breakage like this
>     (which can
>     occur at intermediate routers as well as at servers).
>
>     The http module in the opusfile library has an implementation of
>     this if
>     you want code to borrow.

TBR