[Icecast-dev] MPEG DASH

Brad Isbell brad at musatcha.com
Tue Feb 11 06:41:06 PST 2014

Daniel, I won't make any points regarding DASH's fit with Icecast, but I
wanted to address your statement that there is no purpose for adaptive
streaming.

Cell phone connections are fairly terrible and inconsistent.  Even if you
have a solid signal on a 4G technology, you could walk around a corner and
it will disappear.  What works at 3mbit/s one minute might be 10kbit/s the
next.  Adaptive streaming is most certainly helpful in these situations,
and is one of the reasons I do not exclusively use Icecast for the stations
I work on.

Brad Isbell
brad at musatcha.com
http://www.musatcha.com