[Icecast-dev] [Icecast] Icecast 2.4.1 release (Windows Installer)

"Thomas B. Rücker" thomas at ruecker.fi
Fri Dec 26 13:35:34 PST 2014

Hi once again!

Merry whatever doesn't offend you!

I've taken the time to set up a clean automated build of Icecast for
Windows. This is on the Open Build Service instance of the OpenSUSE
folks. It is now building against a clean and up to date MinGW32
environment, maintained as part of openSUSE.

This needed some fixes to our code to build properly. Erik van
Pienbroek, of the Fedora project, was of invaluable help and spent some
hours cleaning up our MinGW32 specific code.

The last two days I've spent hours building on top of the great ground
work for a new Windows installer started by our Stephan Jauernick.
Utilizing the Nullsoft Installer framework we're able to create Windows
installers also from our Linux build environment.

I've chosen to redo the Windows release of Icecast 2.4.1, as the
original one for Windows was just the provisional Zip file. Also we're
not going to have a new stable release for the next couple of months, so
I want our Windows users to have a nice installation experience without
the need to wait long. (Spoiler: There will be a beta release during the
next few days though.)

Without further ado, here's the Windows installer:
http://downloads.xiph.org/releases/icecast/icecast_win32_2.4.1.exe

Notes:
- Not usable to upgrade older versions, you MUST back up your config XML
and uninstall any old versions before installing this version. If you
used the Zip file 2.4.0/2.4.1 builds, please don't try to install into
such a directory but delete it first, only retaining the config XML.
- Will install cleanly over itself and not overwrite existing config.
- Properly registers with the Windows software management infrastructure.
- Start menu contains items for: starting server (console window MUST
stay open), web interface and documentation.
- Supports HTTPS aka "SSL" (TLSv1 and up, really), see documentation for
details.

Things still on my ToDo list for future releases:
- Windows service installation (there is a workaround utilizing "nssm"
though)
- Uninstall option to purge also config and web files, currently
retained to enable easy reinstallation

I've done some installation and runtime testing including HTTPS and
didn't notice any problems. Actually I'm listening to a stream right now
over HTTPS. If there are any issues, please let me know if you run into
problems.

Cheers

Thomas

PS: The 2.4.1 zip file is now deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore!
Website will update shortly.