[Icecast-dev] understanding icecast decoding from a listener client perspective

"Thomas B. Rücker" thomas at ruecker.fi
Fri Oct 4 12:04:34 PDT 2013

Hi,

On 10/04/2013 06:27 PM, Andy Martin wrote:
> I looked at these requests and started trying to interpret the data of
> the header and the stream. I receive a header, and even when I added
> the parameter to the request to try and get meta-data, it seems that
> it is not being included. Namely, the number that is supposed to tell
> the distance between each meta-data section that is sent in the
> stream. I couldn't figure out the config setting for relaying
> meta-data with my icecast stream.

You're talking about legacy ICY things. Ogg, as Philipp explained has
the metadata inside, not piggybacked into the raw data.
So to get the metadata for an ogg stream you have to use the libraries.
If you're dealing with Icecast streaming an unsupported/legacy format
(yes that includes mp3), then you need to signal capability to extract
injected metadata to the server and then remove it from the stream
before you hand it over to a demuxer/decoder.

> When I look at the stream, I also noticed that it says Oggs twice.
> Which one of these starts the stream? So what information is really
> important from the header, and is any of that actually important for
> decoding? How Can I find the first part of the stream that needs to be
> passed to Libogg, and does libogg or (libvorbis) have a feature that
> will callback when it reads meta data.

I'd hope, that libogg has some documentation.
Generally everything after HTTP headers can be passed to the demuxer.
If you see a second Oggs, that might be another chain element starting.
Please note that ogg streams are often chained. This is actually how
you'll usually get metadata updates, there is a new chain element and it
has new metadata.

Hope that helps

Thomas