[Icecast-dev] Streaming AAC with libshout?

marcin at saepia.net marcin at saepia.net
Mon Jun 24 13:50:08 PDT 2013

Thomas, it is a bit ridiculous, to be honest. If whole open source
community have been thinking like this none of the linux distros would have
ever had any multimedia player that is usable by regular user because all
of the would have been supporting only Vorbis and Theora. For me, one of
the best things in open source is its interoperability, not that it is a
ghetto.

And you won't reverse the fact that it is AAC which is supported even by
oldest Android phones, not Opus by banning AAC support in libshout.

Your argument about Opus will be valid in let's say 2016 when most users
will migrate to hardware & software that supports Opus. Not earlier.
Personally I would be glad to see Opis widely supported ASAP but truth is
that AD 2013 it is supported by no major software and hardware and I, and
possibly not only me, have clients right now that are requesting
low-bandwidth solution possible to integrate with their SaaS service
(sorry, Orban). I can't tell them "wait till Opus will be popular".

Now, and before it happens such policy just forces people to create
patches, non-standard builds of libshout which basically just adding
unnecessary overhead.

m.