[Icecast-dev] How to use http-put for JavaScript source client

Jamie McClelland jm at mayfirst.org
Thu Jul 25 06:35:09 PDT 2013

Thanks so much for the comprehensive response Romain. It sounds like you
are working hard getting this working with audio streams and it's a lot
more complicated than I had originally hoped.

I'm still curious about the proper syntax of the http put command though
(and I'm sure others would be interested as well). Is there any
documentation on the parameters to send?

I also had a (probably naive) question about your approach...

> For these reasons, we at liquidsoap have been working on implementing
> a simple websocket protocol for sending source streams from a browser
> to a server. The protocol is documented and implemented there:
>   https://github.com/savonet/webcast

<snip>

> The bottlenecks right now are the availability of the Web Audio API,
> which is only partially implemented in firefox and the encoding speed.
>
> Because there is no native encoding API for browser-side javascript,
> we have (temporarily?) resorted to using javascript-compiled libraries
> for mp3 encoding. However, only firefox seems to show suitable
> performances for mp3 encoding, using the libshine build and thanks to
> its asm.js support.
>   https://github.com/savonet/shine/tree/master/js

I'm curious why encoding speed on the browser is an issue. If you are
sending the data to a nodejs app on a server, why not have the nodejs
app doing any additional encoding necessary?

jamie

--
Jamie McClelland

May First/People Link