[Icecast-dev] Opus and WebM support have landed

Ralph Giles giles at thaumas.net
Thu Jun 14 19:26:53 PDT 2012

On 14/06/12 02:35 AM, Rücker Thomas wrote:

 > quick info. Yesterday Rillian landed Oneman's patches adding ogg/opus
 > and WebM support on Icecast trunk.

Thanks for posting about it, Thomas. Seems to work! The next major new
feature I'd like to get in the tree is PUT support.

On 14/06/12 09:36 AM, Geoff Shang wrote:

> What's client support like for these?

> HOw could I set up say an Opus stream and play with it?

Opus is a very new format, so playback is just beginning to be supported.

Very recent versions of gstreamer support it, so programs like Totem on
Linux will work if your install is new enough.

Probably the easiest cross-platform option is the Nightly and Aurora
builds of Firefox. You have to enable a preference to be able to play
back opus streams; just follow the instructions at
https://people.xiph.org/~giles/2012/opus/

There are also command line tools in the opus-tools package. You can get
Windows binaries and source packages at http://opus-codec.org/downloads/

 > HOw could I set up say an Opus stream and play with it?

The easiest approach is probably to use the opus-tools utilities along
with Jan Gerber's oggfwd utility. You can use gstreamer, if it's new
enough to support opus, and is built against libshout 2.3.1 or later. Or
you can use oneman's krad_radio as a streaming client, which will take
live audio feeds from jack. https://github.com/krad-radio/krad_radio

Let us know if you get anything working!

  -r