[Icecast-dev] icecast dev

Rücker Thomas thomas.ruecker at tieto.com
Wed Aug 22 02:08:39 PDT 2012

Hi,

On 22/08/12 02:41, Yaniv Sharon wrote:
> 1. Compatibility to iphone/android. There is a way to make the icecast
> working as one point solution to iphone/android?  a lot of streamers
> searching for that…

Icecast can stream proprietary codecs in pass-through mode. We are not
fans of that though.

Currently support for Opus is arriving in all sorts of Software (the
soon to be announced IETF standard, also to be used for WebRTC).
http://www.opus-codec.org/
We believe that with browsers and software supporting Opus, in the long
run there will be no need for proprietary codecs in streaming.
Eventually and hopefully, also mobile phone operating systems will
follow suit and add Opus support (e.g. due to webRTC)
Icecast 2.4 beta has production grade Opus and WebM support.

> *_2_*. I'm running icecast 2.3.2 on my 2008 windows server. I don’t
> know how to explain this but I will try:
>
> When you starting to listen to a  icecast stream that hosted in
> windows, The stream is buffering "slow" on the client player. I think
> that is related to the term "burst on connect".
>
>     In a Linux platform is better. It pushes more data faster to the
> player buffer on that initial connect, meaning that the music starts
> playing much faster.
>
> But the word "faster" is not the main issue here. from my experience
> with running icecast / shoutast on windows, the "burst on connect" is
> very important to the stream stability.

I highly suspect that the answer lies in the config file.
Out of the box icecast has a conservative config and on windows it's
even a simplistic config.

You might want to take a look at the documentation and adjust your
config to your needs.
Only you know what exactly you need.

> 3. Flash streaming capability?

Flash is dead.
If you feel for some weird reason that you must, use ffmp3 and an
ogg-vorbis stream.

Cheers

Thomas

PS: Please do not send HTML emails to the mailing list, thanks.