[Icecast-dev] Adding a data in Live OR Saving Stream on Server side.

Odin odin.omdal at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 09:47:33 PDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 3:33 PM, Narendra Sisodiya
<narendra at narendrasisodiya.com> wrote:
> What data I want to add ?
> basically on my website there are various images. each image having  a
> number. While I deliver my lecture I want to send image number too.
> Now I can send this number using http PUSH/PULL but I do not know How
> it will be synchronised ? Because AFAIK in streaming mode the HTML5
> video element do not have TOTAL LENGTH parameter.
> So Hom I can embed the image number in stream itself and get this data
> on client side browser ?

Hey Narendra.

We've spoken before because we're working on basically the same thing.

Now that you're trying to do live stuff, you've run into the same
problems as me. There are currently no good way to sync slides and
live streaming media in the web browsers today. However, based on a
discussion we had in WHATWG, we added an element called
startOffsetTime, which will make it possible once browsers implement
it.

However, I guess it'd be easier to fake syncronization with audio, as
Icecast won't have to buffer as much of it, and normally the clients
can get all the information quite quickly.

You can just "guesstimate" how much the client is lagging behind the
"real" feed, and then just add so many seconds delay to the serverside
PUSH for a new image.

Anyway, -- this isn't really much related to Icecast. Other than
wanting to get down the buffering as low as possible, in order to have
people seeing closer to the real, live stream, and not lag too far
behind.

--
Beste helsing,
Odin Hørthe Omdal <odin.omdal at gmail.com>