[Icecast-dev] The new WebM codec

Thomas B. Ruecker dm8tbr at afthd.tu-darmstadt.de
Sat May 22 03:55:49 PDT 2010

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 12:06:15PM +0300, Alexandru Ardelean wrote:
> Hey everyone.
>
> If you haven't seen this already, last week was Google I/O the third
> edition.
> The event page is : http://code.google.com/events/io/2010/
> The youtube channel with the keynotes is :
> http://www.youtube.com/googledevelopers
> One of the most interesting things at that conference was the introduction
> of the WebM codec, which is a combination of On2's VP8 video codec (which is
> now open sourced) + the Vorbis sound codec with a Matroska (or Matroska
> derived) container.

We briefly discussed this on IRC - #icecast on freenode.

> I would recommend that we integrate support for this new format into
> IceCast, maybe also bump the version to 2.4; I'll try to work on this too,
> since I'd like to setup a video streaming server with this new format.
>
> How does that sound ?

I'd very much like to see WebM happen for icecast.
This might solve the whole chained-ogg mess at the same time - at least
for video. Sadly I'm not that much of an programmer but I'll be happy to
test things.

WRT versioning you should talk to Karl.
My opinion is that integrating WebM support could warrant going to 2.4.

In addition I think you should get in touch with the other people working on
WebM in general. I expect that there will be a lot of things happening now.
I think MikeS mentioned that the GStreamer people are working
on WebM support. GStreamer has an libshout output module so could be
the first source client.

Cheers

Thomas

PS: CC'ing Chris as I guess he'll also be interested from the Mozilla side.