[Icecast-dev] support for kate bitstreams

ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 10 06:55:10 PDT 2008

Hi,

would you be interested in a patch to support kate bitstreams ?

Kate is a bitstream format for text data that can be muxed in ogg,
here presumably alongside a Theora video. It can be used to carry
subtitles, and several separate streams can be muxed concurrently
(eg, for subtitles in several languages).
More info about Kate can be found there:
 http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/OggKate
Note that despite the location, this is not a Xiph codec.

I currently have patches to icecast 2.3.1 and libshout 2.2.2, and it
works with (patched) mplayer and xine. I can port those patches to
icecast svn, but I can't find the cvs/svn for libshout to port to. Am I
right thinking that libshout is made by you (icecast people) as well ?

The patches are pretty simple, and don't actually need libkate to
work. If it's found, it'll be used (better checking of header packets)
but if not there's some fallback code.

If you want/need more information, please ask.

Thanks