[Icecast-dev] Icecast protocol

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Thu Jan 4 23:48:01 PST 2007

On 1/5/07, Ian Descôteaux <descoteauxi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> I'm writting a simple app which is gonna take FLAC file and convert them
> to ogg and mp3 format before sending them to icecast upon streaming.  I
> have search a lot over and can't find a icecast protocol definition, or
> even an overview anywhere.  Is somebody can point me on this one or I
> have to read the whole icecast source code (I know java but C/C++ is
> another thing...).

In addition to what others have said (which is good advice), I'll
answer your question more directly:

Icecast's protocol is mostly just HTTP. For a source client (what you
want to write), there's a single extension - a SOURCE method.
Semantically, it's rather like PUT.

Really, that's all there is to it!

Mike