[Icecast-dev] URL authentication

Klaas Jan Wierenga k.j.wierenga at home.nl
Fri Sep 8 05:11:48 PDT 2006

Hi all,

The URL authentication is great for reducing the administration overhead
in running one or more icecast instances for lost of mountpoints and
lots of listeners. However because the URL authentication is <mount>
specific you still need to create a mountpoint for each (in our case)
customer.

Would it be possible to have a global URL authentication section which
would apply to all SOURCE and client logins? Then we can create an
icecast configuration that doesn't need to be regenerated when a new
customer/mountpoint needs to be added.

I guess if the <authentication type="url> section could be used as a
top-level tag (instead of  as a sub-tag of <mount>), then  that could do
the trick.  The mount_add URL would be used to check the validity of
the/any mountpoint. The listener_add authenticates the users.

Would this be hard to implement? It would certainly make administration
a lot easier for icecast users that keep mountpoint names, username and
passwords in a database.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
KJ