[Icecast-dev] Ogg Vorbis Streams - song or track metadata for client?

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Sun Mar 27 17:25:12 PST 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-27 at 23:53, Simon Liu wrote:
> > > - For Ogg Vorbis streams, how is song/track information sent and
> > > updated to the client?  How do I parse this information?
> >
> > a new set of headers are sent, ie a new logical stream
>
> Hi Karl,
>
> Am I therefore correct in thinking that songs are sent one after
> another, e.g. "chaining", with each new logical stream starting with a
> page of metadata e.g. comments?

you're on the right lines, appending a valid ogg file onto another will
give you a chained stream, and that stream of data is just like an ogg
stream from icecast with metadata updates.

The specs in the xiph docs covers the details.

> Is there any reference source code from Xiph or any open-source vorbis
> stream players you would recommend I take a look at?

for actual code, just look at any of the projects where ogg data is
handled.

karl.