[Icecast-dev] icecast performance on many concurrent low-bitrate streams

Klaas Jan Wierenga k.j.wierenga at home.nl
Fri Jul 29 01:12:33 PDT 2005

Karl,

Sorry I keep going on about this, but I'd like to understand the issues
here.

I understand that the value of 1400 is not directly determining the MTU,
but if a connection has an MTU of >= 1400+TCP then it turns out that (on
my configuration of a linux-2.4 kernel) most packets will have a 1400
byte payload, some will have less on a link with MTU 1500. On a link
with a smaller MTU almost all packets will be filled to the maximum
payload size for the MTU.

What would be the arguments against buffering a little more? Assuming
the lowest bitrate is 16kbit/sec = 2kbytes/sec you could set the
batching value to 2048. This way you fill packets completely on links
up-to MTU 2048+TCP. Of course in a real-life system the maximum payload
is 1500-TCP.

KJ