[Icecast-dev] Re : Authentication backend development

Michael Smith mlrsmith at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 16:33:20 PST 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 19:17:23 -0500 (EST), matador at streamtvnow.com
<matador at streamtvnow.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working with a group that is interested in the current authentication
> being extended.
>
> So that multiple relays can use the same "password" file (or database).

Not sure what you're asking for here - the current mechanisms do this
correctly already (though there might be some race conditions).

Well... unless you're hitting performance problems. The current code
is simple but slow, and could be made much faster without too much
difficulty.

> MySQL backend for all this would be great.

So is this what you're really interested in? This would be very simple
to implement (though I wouldn't choose to do it with mysql,
personally). Slightly harder if you wanted the admin interface to be
able to add/delete/modify users in the database (but even that
wouldn't be particularly hard).

It's just a single table, indexed by username, with two columns
(username, password-hash). Doesn't get much simpler... Certainly
something for a single person to do, it's too small a project for a
group.

Mike