[Icecast-dev] ezstream Playlist Randomization

Joshua Lynn Pilkington joshuap at joshuapilkington.com
Tue Jan 4 17:42:58 PST 2005

I have implemented playlist randomization into ezstream v0.1.2 for
Linux.  I am currently using a PII 266mhz for a server, so I wanted
something that wouldn't have to reencode the audio as it is streamed and
be able to play a playlist randomly.  It uses STL Vectors to store each
playlist and then randomly deletes the song from the list after it is
played (this is to make sure the same song isn't played twice).  For
each loop, the randomization is different.  I also added/fixed several
other things (one was a bug that wouldn't read the playlist properly,
causing the program to complain that all the files in the playlist
didn't exist, but actually did).  You can also specify whether to loop
the playlist.  Unfortunately, the ID3 Tag bug has not been fixed as of
yet.  I don't intend on this being an "official" release, but if you are
interested, I can post the source code.

I have not tested this program on any huge playlists (one's having
thousands or even millions of songs), so I have no idea how efficient
this is.  I left the program running overnight, and so far, so good.