[Icecast-dev] Icecast2 Burst-on-Connect

Michael Smith mlrsmith at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 04:42:05 PST 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:22:49 +0000 (UTC), gARetH baBB
<hick.icecast at gink.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Michael Smith wrote:
>
> > There's one thing that icecast doesn't do (except for ogg streams)
> > that other servers might (but from what I'm told, shoutcast doesn't):
> > start sending from some valid synchronisation point (e.g. the mpeg
> > sync pattern) - obviously, if you do that, it's a bit easier on
> > clients (but  I don't know of any that don't cope).
>
> Media Player Classic requires a Content-Length: before it will stream.

We already do this (with some stupid faked value) for... the flash
client, I think. We could add another case for this thing - can you
give us details (user-agent string?).

Does it also work with HTTP/1.1 Transfer-Encoding: chunked? That'd be
a lot more work to implement, but it's the right thing to do in the
longer term.

> So does Windows Media Player 6.4, except it also requires something else -
> could it be this mpeg sync pattern ?
>
> Now discuss "Content-Length: -1" ...

?? What about it. Does this make some media players work, somehow?

Mike