[Icecast-dev] Relaying

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Mon Apr 4 15:38:44 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 23:15, Pieter Naaijkens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am relaying an shoutcast stream using icecast2. There aren't many
> listeners (yet), so I was wondering if it would be possible to only
> connect to the source server if there are any listeners, to save
> bandwith. The two servers are practically on a LAN, so connection time
> is minimal. I think the listeners wouldn't notice any delay at all.

only my branch code has the on-demand relay support currently, it's on
my list of things to merge.

http://mediacast1.com/~karl/

2.1-kh6 is latest, which is really a 2.2 equivalent, and yes I am slowly
working towards a 2.2-kh1.

One thing to watch for is if the shoutcast server bursts a lot of stream
data at the beginning and you have slow clients starting the relay. For
such cases you can increase the queue size and/or reduce burst-size in
icecast.

> So my question is: is this currently supported, and if not, would it be
> easy to implement?

It's not a trivial patch as there are a few subtle issues to watch for
but my current working set is working out well for people.

karl.