[Icecast-dev] Client had recoverable error

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Thu Sep 2 13:57:19 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 23:06, Silvester Verdonkschot wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I’m using icecast 2.0.1 with darkice 0.14 streaming an 192kb mp3 stream.
> Everything seems to work fine except that clients (eg winamp5) disconnect
> after a period of time (5/10/20 minutes). The icecast log shows some weir
> errors:
>
> [2004-08-18  01:24:54] DBUG format-mp3/format_mp3_write_buf_to_client Client
> had recoverable error -1
> [2004-08-18  01:24:54] DBUG format-mp3/format_mp3_write_buf_to_client Client
> had recoverable error -1
> [2004-08-18  01:24:54] DBUG format-mp3/format_mp3_write_buf_to_client Client
> had recoverable error -1
>

> It creates a lot of debug information per client

> I tried googling on the error.. no answer found.

Strictly speaking they are not errors, but debug messages relating to
the sending of data to a client.  The message itself is next to useless
and as such is not in the trunk code but it means it couldn't send data
to a client at that time.

Too many of these in sequence for the same client will eventually mean
client disconnection as it has fallen too far behind. As to why the
client is not able to keep up is something not easy to identify, the
common causes are max physical bandwidth reached, some network outage or
TCP flow control kicking in for larger latency links.

karl.