[icecast-dev] No Duplicate Users - Patch

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Sun May 16 08:55:06 PDT 2004

At 10:26 AM 5/16/2004, you wrote:
> > I'd like to commit the following patch which adds a new option to the
> > htpasswd client authenticator.  This option <option
> > name="allow_duplicate_users"> specifies wether or not the same username
> can
> > connect to a mountpoint more than once.  This is pretty much a required
> > feature for any decent use of the listener authentication capabilities of
> > icecast.
>
>I think the idea is fine, but my first thought is that it should
>probably default to allowing duplicates.

well, of all the people that I've discussed listener authentication with,
ones who are trying to setup a simple listener auth system, they ALL
expressed the desire to have this feature, and they all pretty much said
"well, it's great, but you gotta give me the ability to prevent people from
passing around usernames and sharing them"...So I interpret that feedback
as not only is this feature a required feature for an auth system, but
should be enabled by default.  Although, I could certainly be persuaded
otherwise...

>time?  Or for all mountpoints that are marked in some way?

you are talking about the authenticators in general ? or this option ?

Authenticators are set per mountpoint and are currently not able to be set
at the "server level", so this option would only apply to the authenticator
it was set under.

oddsock