[icecast-dev] Asymmetric load balancing

Enrico Minack enrico.minack at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Thu May 13 10:10:52 PDT 2004

> Most people like to use 301 (moved permanently) for redirection, and this
> is the one most likely to be supported by client.
I think 302 moved temporarily is more appropriate here since the client is asked to send its request to the main server later again.

> But what if the client
> doesn't support redirection?
I made some test, all common mp3 clients are capable of 302 redirect responses. This includes mpg123, winamp and windows media player. Probably RealOne as well. I never had problems with that.

Check this load balancing patch out:
http://www.maniac-site.de/download.php?user=maniacme2&file=icecast-2.0.0-loadbalanced-0.9.2.diff.gz
or this patched icecast:
http://www.maniac-site.de/download.php?user=maniacme2&file=icecast-2.0.0-loadbalanced-0.9.2.tar.gz