[icecast-dev] Ices on OS X

Lee Azzarello lee at fallingforward.net
Sun May 2 23:14:05 PDT 2004

So this is just an update of what I've been doing lately. I don't post
to this list much but I'm on IRC a lot. So hi everyone...

I had this idea that a live input module for ices on OS X would be a
good thing. I started to look into the CoreAudio API but then I
discovered that JACK can theoretically run on OS X. JACK is cool and
Karl's most recent source has an input module for it. After lots of
pulling teeth, I got JACK compiled on OS X, I then got Ices-58-kh
compiled against that version of JACK. So this is all good...

But the performance is horrible. Ices complains that the ringbuffer is
full when any user interface operation happens. There's also no
functional GUI for making connections. The upside is that I have become
more familiar with the CoreAudio API so it may still be worth while to
keep working on this driver even though it seems there are many people
working on getting good JACK support on OS X.

-lee