[icecast-dev] yp server resources spike

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Tue Jun 1 14:11:03 PDT 2004

BTW, there seems to be an issue with the yp servers traffic handling.
After motherfish came back up today (from 3 days of downtime) mysql
drove the load average up to 200, with the maximum number of mysqld
instances all spinning in some kind of active wait. I attached to
several but strace showed no activity during the period I was watching.

This is quite bad; we assumed something was wrong and took the site down
to investigate, but I don't know much about mysql and didn't discover
anything obvious. Was this just a spike from all the icecast servers
trying to connect at once? If so the code needs tuning. This is a
serious scalability limit.

It seems to be coming down slowly on its own now, which most of the
mysqld processes going to sleep.

 -r