[icecast-dev] User authentication schemes

Bryan Jay Miller bryan at woxy.com
Mon Jan 26 11:16:20 PST 2004

After reviewing the discussion from early November regarding user
authentication and subscription schemes in Icecast, I've been chewing
on some ideas to implement this in a flexible way that has benefit to
everyone and minimal impact on the core server. Because everyone's
subscription/authentication needs are going to differ, it probably is
best to keep as much of the auth logic external to the server.

In our particular situation, we would simply like to authenticate users
to a mountpoint, and it's important that no more than one person can
log on at a time using the same username and password pair. We'd like
to store our username, password and mount authorization in a MySQL db.

What about SOAP (or would this be an RPC)? When a client connects, a
SOAP object is sent to the subscription/authorization server containing
the username, password and requested mount. The auth server can then
process this and return true or false. Then when the client logs off,
another object would be sent to note that event. The cool thing about
this is that you can write whatever authorization logic you'd like.
Icecast just has to send the objects (and get a response when someone
is logging on) with no knowledge of how the decision to authenticate or
not is made. Or is there better/easier protocol or method to use to get
the same effect?

I would guess this could also be done with URL calls as well but how
would Icecast accept the response? Is this ability built into the httpp
library?

Any and all suggestions welcome...

Thanks - bryan